Saturday 4 June 2011

Resident foodie: King Prawn Gamberetti overdose.

So we were heading towards the end of our final exam. We'd just have three consecutive exams and we only had tort law left, which was an open book exam- they want to test our application of the relevant law rather than memory, thus besides highlighting the textbook there was little else constructive for me to do during the next three days. As i'm approaching my 20th, myself and my favourite law friend went to celebrate this long awaited night off at our favourite eatarie in Aberystwyth, Little Italy. 

Little Italy is on the bottom of North Parade street, not far from where the incline of Penglais hill begins. It's a beautiful Italian resturant, that doesn't look like much from the outside but once you're inside it's wonderful. It's got wooden beams, candle light, operatic music and an all round fantastic atmosphere. 
Little Italy.
My friend has always raved about Little Italy, and since I went with my boyfriend a few months ago, I don't  want to eat anywhere else, I have to begrudginly accept that I just cannot afford to eat there weekly. Most people when going to an Italian will order pasta or pizza. There's nothing wrong with this and I've tried a few of their pasta dishes, they do fantastic vegetarian or fishy options, but it's the grilled section where this place excells everywhere else. Why would you have a pizza or pasta, which a competent cook could easily make at home, when their grill section is to die for. My meat eating friends have reccommended the Duck a la dolce which is duck in orange, lemon and brandy sauce or the Steak Rossini Served on a Crouton with Pate in a Red wine, Mushroom and Cream Sauce.

My personal reccommendation for a starter is Camembert Fritto for £5.75. It's a soft Cheese fried in Breadcrumbs with Cranberry Sauce. It's very delicate and beautifully done. But for mains within a heartbeat I'd suggest the King Prawn Gamberetti cooked with garlic, mushrooms and finished with creamy lobster sauce for £18.45. The best thing about this place is the portions. You really do get your moneys worth. You will get an entire huge plate of just king prawns in this beautiful sauce, and then you get the choice of either garlic, roast or chipped potatoes, which come in a seperate bowl and a choice of salad, vegetables or onion rings, which will come in another seperate bowl. I personally would get the garlic potatoes and the salad. It genuinely tastes like heaven. I couldn't stop smiling as I ate them. It might have been the wine going to my head but right then I just felt unbelievably happy to be eating such beauties. 

Well there you go. If you are going to eat out in Aberystwyth, I suggest you don't skimp on the spending. It really is worth digging deeper into your pockets for the atmosphere and the quality of food. If you are going to go, dont be a cheap skate and buy a pasta dish or pizza. Go for it, buy one of their special items and you will not regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment