Saturday 14 May 2011

Dr Who Overdose: The Doctors Wife.

This was a story about the Tardis, set largely inside the Tardis, with the Tardis as the female lead. You may need to sit down and rest a while to get your head around this. To add to your fragile cognitive state, I should warn you that the Doctor appears to suffer from a disorder known as Objectum Sexual- no I didn't make this term up. It's a genuine condition for people who have sexual desire for inanimate objects. Yes, the doctor wants to poon his tardis.


I cannot lie. I am very disappointed by this episode. It was very rushed, the storyline was very unpolished and far too ridiculous (yes even for Doctor who). It overcomplicated what was basically a simple love story between a man and his car. I personally felt very uncomfortable watching the human personification of the tardis flirt with the doctor. I don't know if this is because I want the Doctor for myself, but I feel there's more to my repulse than that. This storyline should have been dealt with much more gently and the relationship should have been much more platonic. Less sexual tension, more admiration. 

Surranne Jones, I prejudged harshly. I will admit I was not expecting great things about her. But she was actually quite brilliant. She had a Helena Bonham Carter playing Mrs Lovett quality about her which I found endearing. A particular favourite quote was:
"Biting's excellent. It's like kissing only there's a winner." 
 Which she delivered fantastically. And the poigniant moment when you remember it isn't just the time lords who have died out, it's also the tardis'. She managed to bring some depth to an otherwise badly drafted character. I did find myself entertained by the Amy& Rory vs Michael Sheen's voice- fatal cat and mouse game. The "Kill Amy" graffiti scene made me wonder what role Rory is playing in Amy's inevitable knock up. Will he simply get fed up of waiting for Mrs Pond? Will he walk? Will he die- for real? Just how long can a robot last anyway?

I'm very excited for next weeks episode. It looks positively terrifying and like we will finally get some answers, obviously I'm not foolish enough to expect them all in one episode. I have a good theory however. I was reliably informed that many years ago, pre Matt, Pre David, and Pre Chris even- yes i'm talking back in those days. One of the doctors died, properly, and another timelord did timelord magic to resurrect him. So what with the crazy regenerating child loose, and the doctors impending death... you know where i'm heading. Although I'm still dubious about Pond and the Doctor pooning. The sexual tension lessens every episode. And when the Rory asked "This time, can we lose the bunk beds?" it only serves to highlight the Dr's lack of sexual knowledge.

All I can conclude from this episode, is that Neil Gaimanis very a very overrated writer. I had high hopes for this episode and I was sorely let down. It had so much potential but ultimately failed to deliver. I can only hope next weeks lives up to the expectations I already have for it.


1 comment:

  1. The analogy upon which you have based the bulk of your compliant, is severely flawed; you suggest that this is a simple love story between a man and his car, however this statement doesn't take into account the sentience of the TARDIS. The TARDIS is not a car it is a character. The Doctor's affection is also directed clearly at the personality of the TARDIS, not the mechanical components. I will admit that this is more of a fanboy episode, what with the appearance of two old TARDIS consoles and so many answers given for the TARDIS's behaviour over the years...

    ReplyDelete