Monday 9 May 2011

Dr Who Overdose: Curse of the Black Spot.

At the end of last week's Day Of The Moon, a young girl suddenly started regenerating. Like most of the Dr Who fan base I was left in shock and shouting at my television. Desperate for the week to roll on so I could find out what happened next, who is this girl? is Amy Pond the slut we all suspected her to be? What will Rory do if his wife and the Dr poon? All these questions were still spinning in my head as I settled down with a friend to watch Curse of the Black Spot. Then it suddenly dawned on me, the chances of said questions being answered any time soon was very unlikely. Writers these days seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to leave us on a gigantic cliffhanger then fill the following episodes with less interesting and irrelevant material. I hoped Dr Who wasn't going to do a "filler" episode, the cliffhanger was far too juicy, but alas, they did. 
Not that the episode was terrible. It's just some of us cannot cope having to wait a week to find out what happens next, then finding out we have to wait longer if simply what tips us off the edge. By the time we actually find out who this elusive child is I will most likely have bitten all my fingers off til they are tiny stubs and pulled all my hair out with frustration. 

I had a dawning feeling that the Curse of the black spot would be extraordinarily similar to a popular film known as "curse of the black pearl". Just with some spacey gadgets added in. I was half right, there was some very obvious copying, however this was probably intended as most of Dr Who's younger audience are probably fans of POTC as well, and there's nothing wrong with pleasing your audience. 

Lily Cole's CGI transformation from green sparkly temptress to crazy, hissing red devil was lame and I'm not sure if it was the casting of the useless entity that is Lily Cole which angered me or just her blatant inability to act but either way, a lesser known, cheaper but more talented actress would have been the better option.  Hugh Bonneville brought enough star attraction, another was not needed. 

Hugh Bonneville's performance on the other hand was wonderful, I found myself increasingly being attracted to him, he really worked that beard. But unfortunately for him, his character was underdeveloped and the father/son plot line was all too obvious. 

The worst plot line by far was Rory's near death. This has happened far too many times and by now I find myself bored by it. Don't get me wrong, I think Rory is a great character, but there's only so many times I can watch him die. When he inevitably dies for real (leaving Amy free to poon the Doctor and thus create mini Doctor-ette) I will be bored of the whole fiasco and have no care that a beloved character has died. The writers need to stop reusing said storyline. There is only so many times a man can die, other than the doctor of course. 

To summarise. This episode was well below par, compared to the last two episodes we joyfully watched. The best part of it was that the despicable River Song wasn't in it. I'm still unconvinced the Doctor really dies. I've had many theories swimming around in my head. Perhaps this elusive regeneration girl will use her regeneration powers to resuscitate the doctor? That's what I'm hoping, because to make Matt Smith the final doctor will be the most ridiculous plot line this show has ever had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment